Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Power of Friendship

This blog entry is dedicated to all the young ladies in the G180 Youth Group, I love you girls.

We often talk to young people about being cautious of who influences them but I want to take a different approach. Who do they influence?

My husband and I have been working with a young lady close to 5 years now that has her share of problems. She's been bounced around the foster care system, often times become self destructive/self mutilating and is constantly battling depression. For four of those five years we have done our best to include her in all youth activities and events but to her "Sis. Siena invites me and picks me up because its her job to do that". Roughly a year ago we started noticing a shift in our youth group. Our young people were starting to mature and have a burden for their peers. In the process our girls have really rallied around this one young lady. She's received the precious gift of the Holy Ghost, has a desire to get baptized and seems to no longer desire a self destructive path. She is just now starting to live for God, after five years.

So what changed? Did God's love for her change? Of course not but the love she felt from her peers did. We don't serve God because of friendships but friendships and disciplining is crucial in building a walk with God.

My firs Pastor would tell us almost every service "People don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care". Do we have the truth? Absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt. Will arguing doctrine with a single mother trying to survive let her know how much you care about the well being and salvation of her family?

I heard a message once of about a great army that linked their shields when they went into battle so that if someone stumbled or fell the soldiers to their right and left could support them. I pray that army be a model to our young people and to our church. You never know when a trial may come and you find yourself the unstable soldier in the middle. We are our brother's keeper, and sisters too.

Please pray for my youth group, I mean that with all sincerity. I know there are folks reading this blog that do not follow publicly but I am asking for your prayers. We have a lot of new young people looking our way and I pray that our youth can be used to disciple them. If you have a prayer request you'd like to have folks of like precious faith pray for feel free to leave it in the comments section or email me directly. You have my word that myself, my husband and our youth will hold it up before God in prayer.

In all sincerity,

Siena
vanheusenconsulting@gmail.com


5 comments:

  1. Hi Sis Siena,

    This is an awesome post and so true. My husand and I and our youth group will pray for you, your husband and your youth group.

    Pray for our youth group. We are starting to see some new young people start to show an interest. Like you I want our youth to influence them.

    God Bless you!

    Love,

    Sis Eva

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sis Eva. We will be keeping you all in prayer.

    Siena

    ReplyDelete
  3. I concur with Sis Eva. This is so timely, and so true. Thank you for reminding us that we are to lift our brothers and sisters up.

    Love you guys and we will pray!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...what a post. Thank you reminding me of the responsibility we have to pray for each other.
    I love the burden that you feel for your young people. It comes through clearly in your posts and it is so inspiring.
    What a burden it is to have to the dream of seeing your youth group make it to heaven...but at the same time, what greater dream could there be? I will definitely be keeping you guys in prayer from now on.
    I'd love if you could pray for the young people in my church down here in Mexico...and one young man especially.
    If you'd like, you can read his story here:
    Part 1:
    http://thewakefieldsinmexico.blogspot.com/2010/05/roberto-part-1.html

    And part 2:
    http://thewakefieldsinmexico.blogspot.com/2010/05/roberto-part-2.html

    Again...thank you for this post. Your young people are very blessed to have someone that cares for them so much.
    God bless you!

    ~Bethany Wakefield~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bethany,

    Thank you for your prayers, we could really use them. We just had one of our girls school mates from college get the Holy Ghost. So exciting! I will check out the link you left and be sure to have our youth group pray for you all. You have my word.

    Thank you for your commitment to the work in Mexico. Its obvious that the burden for that country has rested on your shoulders as well as your parents and grandparents.

    Our youth group is trying to raise money to visit a missionary in Mexico next year, who knows maybe we'll be visiting y'all soon.

    God Bless,

    Siena
    The Polished Plume

    ReplyDelete